Gift Your Kid With A Cute Pet: Make His World Happier
Is your kid recently nagging you for a pet? Does he claim that possessing a pet will bring a new meaning and direction in his life? If yes, as a parent, you should choose such a cute pet for your child, which your kid can take care of.
Types of pet and their pros and cons:
In choosing a pet, you should consider your kid’s age and emotional development. If your kid is too young, he may cause harm to the pet by playing rough. Some advantages and disadvantages of keeping various types of pets are mentioned below:
* Birds: If your kid is under 6 years, it will be better to gift him with a small bird, like budgies. Having a bird as a cute pet is a very good idea. Birds can be trained to talk and they are very interactive. Home food can easily meet their dietary needs also. However, larger birds are not ideal as pets as they may bite and can cause serious damage. You should also take part in feeding it and cleaning its cage on a regular basis.
* Fish: You can buy fish for your kids as these are least expensive to maintain. You can feed them easily and can keep them in a large glass bowl also, if the number is only a few. But, you have to make sure that the water is kept at proper pH, nitrogen level and temperature.
* Hamsters, Gerbils, Rats, Guinea pigs: These animals don’t occupy much space in your house because of their sizes. They are easily maintained and very much entertaining for your child. They do not require much attention other than regular cleaning of house and giving fresh water and food daily. However, you should keep in mind that these animals have a tendency to bite and chew and have short life span.
* Bunnies: Bunnies are very good pets if your kid is between 7-10 years. If not properly held, they can kick and break their own backs. They also have tendency to chew on electric cords. They are very much temperamental and children under 6 years are prone to contract the disease salmonella from these.
* Chinchillas: These are very good pets due to their gentle, interactive and amusing nature. They can be fed easily and live upto 20 years. Only disadvantage of this pet is they need messy dirt baths and are prone to heat stroke in warm weather.
Benefits of keeping a pet:
The various benefits of having a cute pet are:
* Possessing a pet and looking after it imparts a sense of responsibility in your kid.
* If your kid is an only child, the pet also acts as a playmate.
* Your kid understands the subtle feeling and how to empathize with others.
* It develops a nurturing skill among the kid.
When your kids show enough responsibilities towards caring for a smaller cute pet, then only you can consider presenting him with a larger pet like a dog or a cat. But, as a parent, it is always your duty to make sure that the pet is well cared for.