Top 5 Sports In The World In Terms Of Popularity
Are you a sports aficionado? Do you make sure that you don’t miss to view a single match, be it tennis, baseball, basketball, rugby, cricket, soccer, hockey or others? Do you keep yourself updated on any sports related news in the world? If yes, then you must be curious to know which the most popular sports in the world are.
5 Most popular sports:
The 5 most popular sports in the world are as follows:
1. Soccer: Though it is known as soccer in the US, it is more popularly known to the rest of the world as football. There are around 3.5 billion football fans all around the world. A global championship of this sport is the World Cup and the tournament is played every four years. The World Cup tournament is the highest rated sports on television, as viewers from 32 countries watch their team play. In the current year, 2010, the World Cup football has 204 teams to qualify, of which 32 teams have been selected for finals. Africa has been chosen to host the World Cup. Players from all continents, like, Asia, Europe, North America and Africa take part in this sport.
2. Cricket: Next to soccer, the most popular sport is the cricket. It has fan followers of 2 billion. This sport is more popular in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, some Asian countries like, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, some African countries, etc. It is the most popular sport in India and Pakistan.
3. Field hockey: Hockey ranks third in terms of popularity. It is mostly played in the countries of Europe, Australia, Asia and Africa.
4. Lawn tennis: This sport has a fan number of 1 billion. This sport is more popular in richer countries, but, some developing countries have also gifted the world with many tennis stars. It has four main tournaments, namely, the Wimbledon, the US Open, the French Open and the Australian Open. The four grand slam tournaments attract the most viewers during the tennis season.
5. Volleyball: The sport originated in the US. It is ranked fifth in the world, in terms of popularity, as it has viewership of 900 million. It is a very popular sport in the United States, as well as in Brazil, Japan, China, Russia and Europe.
Sports have always been an important part of the culture of the US. However, here the most popular competitive sport is bowling, followed by billiards, basketball, golf and baseball.
Bubble – Get the information about sports and play online for free.